OCSD Fall Sports Update
September 11, 2020
Dear Oswego City School District Community,
I am writing today in response to a series of communications that the district has received concerning fall athletics and extracurriculars. Over the last couple of days, the district has received many emails from community members that assert a rumor that has been circulating. Specifically, the rumor is that the district will not be offering any athletics or extracurricular activities for secondary students in the fall.
In response, I am writing to share the following:
1. Thank You - The district is appreciative and thankful for all of the communications that it has received from community members throughout this week.
2. We hear our community - Please know, we hear you loud and clear: “Many from our community would like to see athletics and extra-curricular offerings for our secondary students in the fall.”
3. Decisions on Athletics – At this time NO DECISION HAS BEEN MADE with respect to athletics. This is because the district recently received information from the Governor and New York State Public High School Athletic Association (NYSPHSAA), -- some of which came only a week ago.
Upon receipt of guidance, district leaders and medical officials immediately began to review this guidance to understand requirements and to determine what we might offer for students while also ensuring their health and safety.
To add to this, you should all know that since we received the aforementioned guidance, we’ve received two additional pieces of information from the NYSPHSAA. The first piece of information indicates that NYSPHSAA now plans to move all fall high risk sports (football, volleyball, cheerleading) to the spring of 2021. Secondly, NYSPHSAA shared today additional recommendations and/or guidance concerning the remaining “low-risk to mid-level” sports. We are reviewing this information now and it will be utilized to inform our decision making and planning for athletics this year.
In summary, contrary to rumor, WE HAVE NOT CANCELED ANY ATHLETICS AT THIS TIME. We are reviewing the recently provided guidance and planning on our end before we can best determine what offerings we will be providing this school year.
Please also understand that planning for the health and safety of our students and community, given this pandemic, takes time and must be done in a thorough manner. Given that, I am respectfully asking that the community be patient with the district.
4. Weekly Update – As we move forward the district will be providing a weekly update to community members about its plans for athletics. Community members can visit the district’s athletic department webpage to find this information.
5. Extra-Curricular Activities – Contrary to rumor, the district is planning to offer a series of extra-curricular clubs for our secondary students this school year. We truly understand the importance of meeting our student’s social and emotional needs and are committed to doing so. Accordingly, a series of virtual extra-curricular activities will be offered this school year. Parents and/or guardians should contact their schools’ principals as the year begins to learn more about these offerings.
I would like to thank our community for their feedback. We will be in touch with all of you weekly as we move forward. Thank you again for your time and patience.
Yours in Education,
Mathis Calvin III, Ed. D.
Superintendent of Schools