OCSD going fully remote 11/18-11/29Below is a letter from OCSD Superintendent Dr. Mathis Calvin III:
Nov. 17, 2020
Dear Oswego CSD Community,
Throughout the last week the district has experienced a higher than normal rise in COVID-19 cases. As a result, we now have a higher number of students and staff who have been quarantined. To add to this, the district also has a high number of students and/or staff who are also in the process of being tested for COVID-19 because they are demonstrating related symptoms.
Out of an abundance of caution and given these health and safety concerns, I am writing to share that unfortunately the district will be enacting its emergency plan that is outlined in our reopening plan (Page 14 – Preparing for Shutdown).
Specifically, the district will be providing all instruction remotely – virtually beginning tomorrow, Nov. 18, 2020 through Nov. 29, 2020. Please be advised, dependent upon the rate of infection with our school staff and students throughout this temporary closure, all school closures could be extended past Nov. 29, 2020. Should the district need to do so, we will be in contact with all parents and/or guardians by no later than November 29, 2020.
While we understand the related concerns that this closure might cause for some of our families, again we are enacting this plan out of an abundance of caution and in an effort to secure the health and safety of our students and staff. Please know that as soon as we can return our students to school for “in-person” instruction, we will do so.
While the district buildings are temporarily closed parents and/or guardians should:
- Ensure that their children are available online to receive their daily instruction remotely - virtually during their normal time of instruction each day of the week. Should any parent and/or guardian have difficulty with access to technology equipment, they are asked to reach out to their school principal for support;
- Know that the district will also continue to provide meals for all students who need them. Details on meal delivery are forthcoming to the public and will be sent out via electronic mail and/or robocall messages;
- Know that all students who attend out-of-district programs (CiTi BOCES, private and special educational programs, etc.) will continue to be transported to and attend their programs during this temporary district closure. This includes all CiTi BOCES Special Education, Alternative Education and CTE programs for secondary students.
Please also know, the district will continue to be vigilant as we move forward with ensuring our safety precautions. Accordingly, we are requesting that all of our students and staff continue to maintain COVID-19 safety precautions as well, which include:
- Maintaining social distancing (at least 6 feet) whenever possible;
- Wearing a mask when in the presence of other individuals;
- Washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 second and using hand sanitizer where needed; and
- Staying home when you are sick or exhibiting COVID-19 related symptoms.
Mathis Calvin III, Ed. D.
Superintendent of Schools