Letter: Varsity high-risk winter athletics set to beginFeb. 3, 2021
Dear Parents and/or Guardians.
I am writing to share information concerning winter athletics which includes “high-risk” sports.
At the Board of Education meeting last night several items concerning winter athletics were discussed and approved. They are as follows:
- The Board approved all “high risk” sports to begin effective today 2/3/21. All coaches will reach out to all student athletes and their families with practice and games schedules.
- The districts shared information with the Board of Education about the newly required Oswego County Athletic Preparedness Plan, -- which was submitted to the County of Oswego Department of Health. A copy of this plan is now posted to the district’s website.
- Throughout the winter season the district will only have varsity level sports (Girls and Boys Hockey, Girls and Boys Basketball and Cheerleading).
- In preparation for the fall-2 season, which begins March 8th, the district will be planning for all levels to return to athletics (Modified, Junior Varsity and Varsity teams). Please know, the addition of Modified and Junior Varsity athletics is subject to the pandemic that we are working through.
- At the next Board meeting district administrators will be presenting to the Board various athletics activities – plans that we might be able to offer for students in the near future who would normally be a part of Modified and Junior Varsity athletics during the winter season.; and lastly
- In the near future (within the next couple of weeks) the registration portal will be open for all fall-2 athletics at the Modified, Junior Varsity and Varsity levels (Volleyball, swimming and Diving, Cheerleading and Football). Any parents who would like for their children to participate in fall-2 athletics should go to the site and begin to register their children once the site is open.
Mathis Calvin III, Ed. D.
Superintendent of Schools