Letter: Dr. Calvin to depart OCSD in March
Feb. 1, 2023
Dear Oswego City School District Community,
It is with mixed emotions that I write to share that I will be leaving the district in the near future to pursue a different leadership position. Earlier this evening I was appointed as the new Superintendent of Schools for the Lockport City School District in Lockport, N.Y. Given this appointment, I will be resigning as Superintendent, effective March 18, 2023, at the next Board of Education Meeting.
As I reflect on the outcomes that we have accomplished throughout my tenure in the district I would like to thank our parents, community members, staff and students for their willingness to work collaboratively with me. Together we have been able to:
- Reopen our schools after a challenging pandemic;
- Raise our graduation rates – we are now at 84.5% and moving forward toward 90%;
- Create and implement a multi-year district strategic plan – which now serves as a road-map for the district. This plan ensures that the district is focused on: delivering exceptional learning experiences for students, addressing students diverse social-emotional and academic needs, developing strong relationships with parents and community partners and optimizing the efficient use of districts resources;
- Complete and close out Phase I and II of our $63.7-million-dollar capital improvement project while also starting work on Phase III of this project;
- Embark upon a rigorous curriculum redesign which involves alignment of the district curriculum to the NYS Next Generation Learning Standards and the selection of a new math curriculum in the near future; and we’ve
- Developed a series of new strategic partnerships with community organizations that will support the district with meeting the needs of our students.
Oswego is a caring and dedicated community that exemplifies what it means to go above and beyond to meet the needs of students; -- especially during some of the most challenging times. You are a special community and I have been proud to work for and with all of you over the last two and a half years.
THANK YOU again for all of your support. I wish the District continued success as it works to EDUCATE, INSPIRE and EMPOWER all of its students.
Yours in Education,
Mathis Calvin III, Ed. D.
Superintendent of Schools